Job Opportunities and Rules to Follow for Foreign Students Studying in the USA

Job Opportunities and Rules to Follow for Foreign Students Studying in the USA

Image: Nil Taskin Digital Art

Foreign students in the U.S. on an F-1 visa have some options for employment, but there are restrictions to ensure the primary purpose of their stay (studying) isn’t compromised. Here’s a breakdown of employment opportunities:

  1. On-Campus Employment: This is the most accessible option for many international students. After your first academic year, you can work up to 20 hours a week while school is in session and full-time during breaks.
    • Jobs might include working in the school library, student center, dining hall, or at an affiliated institution.
    • The work doesn’t necessarily have to be related to your field of study.
  2. Optional Practical Training (OPT): After completing their first academic year, students can work in a job related to their major field of study, either through:
    • Pre-completion OPT: Part-time during the school year and full-time during breaks.
    • Post-completion OPT: After finishing their degree, students can work full-time for up to 12 months. Those in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) fields can apply for a 24-month extension.
  3. Curricular Practical Training (CPT): This allows students to work as part of their curriculum, such as paid internships. The job must be an integral part of the established curriculum, and the student must receive course credit for the work.
  4. Severe Economic Hardship: If, due to unforeseen economic hardships, an F-1 student cannot maintain their status and meet the costs of living and studying, they may request employment authorization to work off-campus.
  5. Work for an International Organization: This is a less common opportunity, but F-1 students can work for recognized international organizations within the U.S., like the World Bank or the United Nations.
  6. Research Assistantships: Grad students can often find opportunities on larger projects led by their professors or other institutional research initiatives.
  7. Teaching Assistantships: Many graduate students, especially at the Ph.D. level, have the opportunity to teach or assist in undergraduate classes, usually within their department.
READ:  Health Editor

Some Points to Remember:

  • Always consult with the International Students Office or a designated school official (DSO) before taking up any employment. Working illegally can have severe consequences on your visa status.
  • The U.S. tax system is different for international students. Even if you earn too little to owe any taxes, you must file a return every year.
  • Social Security and Medicare taxes shouldn’t typically be withheld from the pay of F-1 students working on OPT or CPT. Ensure your employer understands this.

Given the complexities and potential consequences, always prioritize your legal status and academic commitments, and make sure any employment complies with the rules of your visa.